Phillips Preparatory School invites you to join the National Junior Honor Society!
Mission: The mission of the National Junior Honor Society is to recognize outstanding middle level students who have demonstrated excellence in the areas of scholarship, service, leadership, character, and citizenship.
Target Group: Students in grades 7-8 who are academically competitive.
Requirements: Students must abide by the rules and policies of the school including those pertaining to behavior.
- Scholarship: Per national guidelines, at a minimum, students must have a cumulative GPA of 85, B, 3.0 on a 4.0 scale, or equivalent standard of excellence. (Each school chapter is allowed to require a higher cumulative GPA.)
- Service: This involves voluntary contributions made by a student to the school or community, done without compensation.
- Leadership: Student leaders are those who are resourceful, good problem solvers, and idea contributors. Leadership experiences can be drawn from school or community activities while working with or for others.
- Character: The student of good character is cooperative; demonstrates high standards of honesty and reliability; shows courtesy, concern, and respect for others; and generally maintains a clean disciplinary record.
- Citizenship: The student who demonstrates citizenship understands the importance of civic engagement; has a high regard for freedom and justice; respects the U.S. form of government; respects the law for all citizens at the local, state, and federal levels; and demonstrates mature participation and responsibility in activities such as scouting, community organizations, or school clubs.
Students who meet the scholarship requirement will have an opportunity to complete a form detailing their accomplishments in and commitment to service, leadership, character, and citizenship.